Quantcast United States Naval Academy -Continued - 12966_209

Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format

 

Click here to make tpub.com your Home Page

Page Title: United States Naval Academy -Continued
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version

Google


Web
www.tpub.com

Home

   
Information Categories
.... Administration
Advancement
Aerographer
Automotive
Aviation
Combat
Construction
Diving
Draftsman
Engineering
Electronics
Food and Cooking
Math
Medical
Music
Nuclear Fundamentals
Photography
Religion
USMC
   
Products
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books

   


 

Share on Google+Share on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Stumble Upon
Back
An Aerial View of the U.S. Naval Academy
Up
Naval Orientation - Military manual for administrative purposes
Next
United States Naval Academy -Continued - 12966_210
stirring exhibit is the faded blue flag on which is sewn in uneven white letters the undying words of  Captain  James  Lawrence,  "Don’t  give  up  the ship." The  Naval  Academy  Chapel,  with  its  great dome that dominates the yard, was completed in 1908.  One  striking  feature  of  the  chapel  is  the stained-glass windows. Of these, the three main windows  are  memorials  to  Admirals  Porter  and Farragut  and  Rear  Admiral  Sampson.  The  two flanking   windows   portray   the   mission   of   the chapel. One shows Sir Galahad with his sheathed sword   before   him.   The   other   portrays   Christ showing a newly commissioned ensign the beacon he  must  follow  as  an  officer.  The  bronze  doors of the chapel, another of its noteworthy features, were   the   gifts   of   Colonel   Robert   Means Thompson. The  original  chapel  was  constructed  in  the form of a Greek cross. In 1939 an extension was added to increase its capacity, which changed the construction  to  the  form  of  a  Christian  cross. Another  notable  feature  of  the  chapel  is  the  votive ship that hangs from a chain in the arch of the nave.  It  was  presented  to  the  Academy  in  1941 by  alumni  who  had  served  in  the  Construction Corps. (The idea of exhibiting a ship model in a church  goes  back  to  ancient  days.  The  model symbolizes  the  dedication  of  seafaring  men  to their  God.) Beneath the chapel lies the crypt containing the  sarcophagus  (marble  coffin)  of  John  Paul Jones.  Completed  in  1913,  the  sarcophagus  is surrounded   by   eight   columns   of   Pyrenean marble.  Inlaid  in  a  circle  in  the  marble  floor around it are the names of the seven ships Jones commanded or captured during the revolutionary war:  Serapis,   Alliance,   Providence,   Bonhomme Richard,  Alfred,  Ariel,   and  Ranger. Until  brought  to  Annapolis  in  1905,  Jones’ remains had been in France since his death over a century before. The reinterment in 1906 was one of   the   most   impressive   ceremonies   in   the Academy’s history. For the occasion a large crowd filled Dahlgren Hall to honor the memory of the “Father  of  the  American  Navy”  and  to  hear President   Theodore   Roosevelt.   The   President closed  the  day  with  these  ringing  words,  "The man  who  never  surrenders  never  has  to  make excuses!" Attending the Academy during this period of growth were several midshipmen who later led the Navy  during  World  War  II,  the  period  of  the Navy’s  greatest  expansion.  Among  them  were Ernest  F.  King,  William  F.  Halsey,  Chester Nimitz,  Raymond  Spruance,  Harold  R.  Stark, Richmond  K.  Turner,  and  Marc  A.  Mitscher. An important change at the Academy at this time   concerned   the   summer   practice   cruises. Ever since 1851 these cruises had normally taken place in practice ships assigned to the Academy. These included such famous sailing ships as the Constitution  and the  Constellation  and the last square rigger built (1900) for the U.S. Navy, the Chesapeake.  In  1904,  however,  part  of  the midshipmen  embarked  in  the  coast  squadron  of the  North  Atlantic  Fleet.  This  procedure  was repeated yearly until 1912. At that time the Navy began  the  present  system  of  holding  summer practice  cruises  only  in  ships  of  the  fleet. An   act   of   Congress   in   1902   restored   to Academy  students  the  nautical  title  “mid- shipmen.”   They  had  been  given  this  title  from 1862  to  1870  and  are  called  by  this  title  today. (From 1845 to 1862 they had been called “acting midshipmen  on  probation”;  from  1870  to  1882, “cadet   midshipmen”;  and  from  1882  to  1902, “naval   cadets.”) In 1898 the Academy adopted a coat of arms. The coat of arms consists of a trident, the motto “Ex  Scientia  Tridens,”  a  book,  and  a  shield exhibiting  a  Roman  galley  coming  bows  on  into action.  The  trident  is  the  ancient  symbol  of  sea power.  The  motto  “EX  Scientia  Tridens,”  which means “From knowledge, sea power, ” represents the  purpose  of  the  Academy.  The  book  depicts scholastic  ideas. In 1907 the Academy’s bandmaster, Lieutenant Charles  A.  Zimmerman,  and  a  choir  member, Midshipman   First   Class   Alfred   H.   Miles, composed   the   Navy’s   battle   song,   “Anchors Aweigh.  ”    The   midshipmen   first   sang   it   at the  Army-Navy  football  game  in  1907  as  the Navy won its second successive victory over West Point. During  this  period  the  Academy  strived  to develop its midshipmen into gentlemen with the strictest sense of dignity and honor. A regulation about dancing serves as an example of the close attention  the  Academy  gave  to  this  task.  This regulation,  formulated  in  1913  by  the  Department of Discipline (the forerunner of today’s Executive Department),  presented  the  following  restrictions: 1.   None   of   the   modern   dances   will   be performed  under  any  circumstances. 2.  Midshipmen  must  keep  their  left  arm straight during all dances. 3. A space of 3 inches must be kept between the  dancing  couple. 10-5

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc.