Quantcast Transportation and Storage of Personal Property

Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make tpub.com your Home Page

Page Title: Transportation and Storage of Personal Property
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



Share on Google+Share on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Stumble Upon
Power of Attorney - 12967_49
Useful Information for Newly Commissioned Officers
Shipment Authorized by Permanent Change of Station Orders
correct   address   for   your   new   duty   station   in   the personnel   office   of   your   present   station   or   at   the nearest   Naval   Reserve   center. The   publications Standard  Navy  Distribution  List,  Parts  1  and  2,  and Catalog   of   Naval   Shore   Activities   give  the  correct mailing   addresses   for   all   Navy   and   Marine   Corps units. Consult   these   publications   as   needed. Remember  that  security  requirements  may  restrict you from telling the location of your new address. If   you   are   assigned   to   a   ship,   your   standard address will be as follows: Your grade and name Name of ship and hull number FPO* and ZIP Code *FPO San Francisco (AP) and FPO Seattle (also AP) serve    Pacific Fleet units; FPO New York (AE) and FPO Miami (AA) serve Atlantic Fleet units and the Americas. TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE OF PERSONAL PROPERTY The conditions and rules for transporting personal property  are  somewhat  complicated  and  vary  with different situations.  Before making any arrangements for   shipping   or   storing   your   property,   consult   the Personal Property Office nearest you. ARRANGING FOR SHIPMENT OF YOUR PERSONAL PROPERTY Upon receipt of your orders, consult the Personal Property Office nearest you.   If you are unable to go yourself,  you  may  arrange  for  an  agent  to  represent you.    However, be sure your agent is in receipt of a power of attorney or letter of authority, signed by you, authorizing   arrangements   for   the   shipment   and/or storage of your personal property.    If necessary, you can   handle   most   of   the   details   concerning   these arrangements by mail. During   your   premove   interview,   your   Personal Property Office will request copies of your orders and ask  you  to  fill  out  an  Application  for  Shipment  of Household Goods (DD Form 1299).   This application authorizes you to make shipments or place goods in storage, either of which involves a cost of hundreds of dollars to the government or you, depending on your entitlement. Weight    allowances    of    household    goods authorized   for   storage/shipment   at   government expense are based on your rank/grade on the effective date  of  your  orders  and  on  the  type  of  orders  you receive. For  instance,  on  a  permanent  change  of station,  an  ensign  without  dependents  is  entitled  to ship  10,000  pounds  of  household  goods;  an  ensign with dependents is entitled to 12,000 pounds.   (On a temporary  change  of  station,  the  allowance  is  600 pounds.) In   addition   to   the   authorized   weight allowance,   you   may   also   ship   professional   books, papers,   and   equipment   at   government   expense, provided   you   certify   them   to   be   necessary   in   the performance of your official duties.   Ordinarily, these professional   items   will   be   shipped   on   the   same transportation  documents  as  your  household  goods. To   prevent   the   weight   of   your   professional   items being  charged  to  your  authorized  household  weight allowance, ensure they are (1) separately packed and weighed and (2) the weight is separately shown on all shipping documents. When your goods are picked up, be sure to check the   carrier’s   inventory   to   see   that   it   is   accurate, descriptive, and legible.   Be sure you or your agent is present   to   accept   delivery   of   your   goods. For reference  purposes  as  well  as  for  filing  a  claim,  if necessary, keep your copies of the government bill of lading,  Statement  of  Accessorial  Services  (DD  619 and DD 619-1), Application for Shipment (DD 1299), and Carriers Inventory. If you will need certain items soon after reporting to your new duty station, you may designate them for delivery   at   your   destination   as   unaccompanied baggage or with your household goods.  Discuss these needs with the Personal Property Office. When your property is delivered, be sure to note loss  or  damage,  if  any,  on  both  your  copy  and  the carrier’s  copy  of  the  inventory  and  DD  619-1.    You and  the  carrier  will  sign  these  documents  after  they have been correctly annotated.   These notations will be required in supporting your claim for any loss and damage that occur.   Also, keep purchase receipts for household items since they can help you establish the value of lost or damaged property. The   Department   of   Defense   has   prepared   the pamphlet It’s Your Move to provide information on the movement   of   household   goods,   mobile   homes, privately owned vehicles, and loss and damage claim procedures. You   may   get   this   pamphlet   at   your nearest   Personal   Property   Office. In   addition, appendix IV of this text contains helpful hints for your move. 4-15

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc. - A (SDVOSB) Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business