must follow certain requirements, each advancement
cycle, for these two paygrades. Approximately mid to
late August each year, commands receive the
NAVADMIN message, which provides the basic
eligibility requirements for senior and master chief petty
officers. It also provides information and procedures to
be used for that particular advancement cycle.
RECOMMENDED TIME SCHEDULE
FOR ADMINISTRATION OF
The commanding officer of each activity
schedules the exact time of day Navywide
examinations will be administered. However, the
commanding officer must not allow candidates to
exceed the time limit of 3 hours for Navywide
examinations or allow them to take any breaks. Take
care that nearby activities do not conduct examinations
at such time that compromise is possible. Unless
deviation is necessary, follow this schedule:
0730 Candidates muster (military ID cards required).
Proctors muster at the same time.
0745 After candidates are seated, sealed examinations,
worksheets, and all other materials required for
administering the examination are distributed.
0800 The General and Verbatim Instructions for the
Administration of Navywide Advancement
Examinations are read (verbatim instructions
are provided by NETPDTC).
instructions tell candidates how to fill in the
answer sheets from the information provided on
the worksheets, as well as, other pertinent
0830 The examination begins.
TIME LIMIT: 3
1130 The examination ends.
(Days below may be changed as announced)
1. All TAR personnel will take the same examination as other active duty personnel, but will compete for vacancies within the personnel
allowance of the TAR program.
2. CANREC personnel on continuous active duty for 1 year or more will also participate in the active duty examination, but will compete for
vacancies with the personnel allowance of their respective programs.
3. Drilling Naval Reservists and personnel on Annual Training (AT) or Active Duty Training (ADT) will participate in the inactive
examination and compete for vacancies within the Selected Reserve community.
4. ADSW|OYR personnel will participate in the inactive duty examination regardless of length of continuous active duty and will
compete for vacancies within the Selected Reserve community.
5. Inactive Reserve candidates will participate in the E-4 through E-7 Selected Reserve examinations during the months of February
and August, or as announced in the respective NAVADMIN.
Table 6-1.Advancement-in-Rate Examination Schedule