PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT EDUCATION
Well-educated, career-minded people are in great
demand in todays rapidly expanding and
technologically advanced Navy. The complex
weapons systems in the Navys ships, aircraft, and
submarines are marvels of high-tech engineering.
They need specially trained and educated people to
The Navy has a variety of professional
development programs available to qualified officer
and enlisted personnel. The programs are designed to
help Navy people further their education and
professional competence. The Navy E-Learning
program is an education program designed for both
officer and enlisted.
Other opportunities discussed in this chapter
include Enlisted to Officer commissioning programs:
· United States Naval Academy.
· Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps
(NROTC) Scholarship Program.
· Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection
and Training (BOOST).
· Seaman to Admiral Program (STA).
· Officer Candidate School (OCS) Program.
· Enlisted Commissioning Program (ECP).
· Medical Enlisted Commissioning Program
· Medical Service Corps In-Service Procurement
Program (MSC IPP).
· Limited Duty Officer (LDO) and Chief Warrant
Officer (CWO) Programs.
And continuing education programs for officers:
· Graduate Education Voucher Program.
· Officer Law Education Program.
· White House Fellows Program.
· Scholarship Program.
· Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey.
· Defense Language Program.
· Junior and Senior Service Colleges.
NAVY ON-LINE EDUCATIONAL
Identify the on-line Navy
learning programs available to enlisted and officer
personnel to further their education and increase their
potential for advancement and promotion.
The Navy E-Learning web site was being brought
on-line as this course was being released. It replaces
the Navy Learning Network and the NETg web sites.
The Navy E-Learning web site was designed to contain
military courses developed to run via the web, the
entire information technology library from NETg
(over 800 courses), and the entire Skillsoft business
and professional development library (over 350
courses). It offers increased portal functionality, user
tools, customized reporting, personalized transcripts,
course completion certificates, and numerous
references and links. It will continue to grow with new
features such as, streaming video, virtual classrooms
and more in the near future. All courses are tuition-free
to DoN personnel.
Courses are pre-paid or funded
separately by the Navy. None of the courses require
additional materials or textbooks. The Navy E-Learning
Internet address is www.navylearning.navy.mil for use
from .mil computers or www.navylearning.com to use
from home computers.
Some of the reasons people like online training
· Timeliness Online training is available 24
hours a day, 365 days a year so the student can
access lessons and information when needed.
· Accessibility Online training is accessible
from anywhere in the world with Internet access.
NETg and SkillSoft courses are playable on
most computer systems (be sure to check system