Quantcast Transfer and Disposition of Officer Service Records and Health Treatment Records

Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make tpub.com your Home Page

Page Title: Transfer and Disposition of Officer Service Records and Health Treatment Records
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



Share on Google+Share on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Stumble Upon
Figure 6-10.—Officer's Report of Home of Record and Place From Which Ordered to a Tour of Active Duty, NAVPERS 1070/4
Personnelman 3 & 2 - Military manual for government personnel administration
Records Disposition Procedures
TRANSFER AND DISPOSITION OF OFFICER SERVICE RECORDS AND HEALTH  TREATMENT  RECORDS In this section, you will read about the distinction between open and closed officer service records, and the  transfer  and  disposition  procedures  for  these records.  This  section  will  provide  you  with  basic information to help you understand the transfer and disposition  of  officer  service  records;  however,  you should not use this training manual (TRAMAN) as the sole reference. Whenever  you  are  involved  in  the transfer  and  disposition  of  officer  service  records,  make sure you always refer to the MILPERSMAN, Article 5030141,  for  guidance. OPEN AND CLOSED SERVICE RECORDS According  to  the  MILPERSMAN,  Article 5030141, the status of an officer determines whether the officer’s  service  record  is  closed  or  remains  open. Open  Service  Record The service record remains open for officers who maintain status in the Regular Navy or Naval Reserve. To maintain status, an officer must either remain on active duty or be retained in an active or inactive status in a Reserve component. Closed  Service  Record The service record is closed when an officer loses naval  status. To lose status, the officer must resign or be discharged,  dismissed,  or  retired  with  no further  military  obligation. RECORDS  TRANSFER  PROCEDURES As a PN, you may be assigned as the service record custodian. As service record custodian, you may be tasked with transferring officer service records. Preparation Procedures Your first step will be to compare and combine the service record and the military health treatment record (medical  and  dental)  and,  when  appropriate,  the personal  financial  record  (PFR)  into  a  one-record packet.  Before  the  officer’s  transfer,  verify  the  service record and remove the temporary documents (those applicable to the local command) and give them to the 6-14 officer.  Make  sure  you  carry  out  these  procedures according  to  the  MILPERSMAN,  Article  5030120. Transfer  Procedures Always  transfer  the  open  service  record  or  health treatment  record  packet  to  the  activity  that  will  next administer   these   records. This   packet   may   be hand-carried  by  the  officer  concerned  or  you  can  send it  to  the  receiving  activity.  To  mail  it,  place  the one-record packet in a sealed envelope and send it via the  U.S.  Postal  Service  First-Class  Mail  using  the Records Transmittal, NAVPERS 5000/64. You must do this no later than the day following the officer’s transfer or separation date. If your command wants the receiving activity to acknowledge  receipt  of  the  packet,  you  should  include in the mailing envelope or container an additional copy of the NAVPERS 5000/64 and a self-addressed return envelope. The receiving activity should acknowledge receipt by signing the transmittal sheet and returning it to your command in the self-addressed envelope. For  an  officer  released  to  inactive  duty  and affiliated with a drill unit of the Naval Reserve, send the following service record documents to CHNAVPERS (PERS 313C1) to update the permanent microfiche record: l   Copy of separation orders and endorsements l  Copy number 2 of the Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, DD Form 214 If  the  officer  is  not  affiliated  with  a  drill  unit, transfer the records to the Naval Reserve Personnel Center  (NAVRESPERSCEN),  Code  401. If  an  officer  reports  for  duty  without  a  service record, the gaining command must either obtain the missing record or reconstruct a new one. If documents necessary  for  adequate  reconstruction  cannot  be obtained from the individual officer, your command should request a copy of only the essential documents from the permanent record from CHNAVPERS (PERS 313C1)  according  to  the  MILPERSMAN,  Articles 5010125 and 5010280. When the officer service record remains open, use the following procedures to transfer the records: .  For  an  officer  with  PCS  or  temporary  duty orders, transfer the records either by letting the officer hand-carry them or by mailing them to the officer’s (next)  reporting  activity.

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc.