Bridge Watch Personnel, Continued
Officer of the
2. Keep informed concerning current operation plans and orders,
intentions of the OTC and the commanding officer, and such other
matters as may pertain to ship or force operations.
3. Issue necessary orders to the helm and main engine control to avoid
danger, to take or keep an assigned station, or to change the course and
speed of the ship according to orders of proper authority.
4. Make all required reports to the commanding officer. When a
command duty officer is specified for the watch, he or she will make the
same reports to the command duty officer.
5. Ensure that required reports to the OOD concerning tests and
inspections and the routine reports of patrols, watches, and lifeboat
crews are promptly originated and that the bridge watch and lookouts
are properly posted and alert.
6. Supervise and direct the personnel on watch on the bridge, ensure
that all required entries are properly made in the Ships Deck Log, and
sign the log at the conclusion of the watch.
7. Issue orders for rendering honors to passing ships as required by
regulations and custom.
8. Ensure that the executive officer, command duty officer (when
assigned), and department heads concerned are kept informed of changes
in the tactical situation, operation schedule, the approach of heavy
weather, and other circumstances that would require a change in the
ships routine or other action on their part.
9. Keep informed of the status and current capabilities of the
engineering plant and keep the engineering officer of the watch advised
concerning boiler power requirements and the operational situation so
that he or she may operate the engineering plant intelligently.