· Tropical shortsOn the inside waistband of
shorts, right side, in line with the outside leg
· SocksSocks are NOT marked; instead,
marks should be put on a piece of sheeting and
then placed inside a standard 10-inch by 15-inch
laundry net used for washing socks. The socks
should be untied and loose in the net. A separate
net should be used for each individual.
· UndershirtsOn the inside, 1 inch to the left
of the label.
RIBBON-TYPE LAUNDRY MARKING
Shipboard laundries use a ribbon-type laundry
marking machine to mark all clothing (fig. 5-8).
The ribbon-type machine uses a lever principle
for setting the mark. The lever is attached
directly to the type wheels, each of which
contains all numerals and complete alphabet. The
Figure 5-8.-Laundryman using the laundry
marking laundry is the same on most types of
1. Put the item to be marked underneath the
tension plate and over the platen. The tension
plate holds the item in place so the laundry mark
can be placed exactly where you want it.
2. Raise the printing lever forward with both
hands to bring the item to be marked into contact
with the type. Use a steady push on the lever for
3. Check the mark for clarity. If it is not clear,
repeat the process.
Operating Ribbon-Type Machines
Some things to remember when you are operating
a Ribbonrite marking machine are as follows:
1. Keep the printer arm down when you set
the type handles. This will prevent wrinkling of
2. Use both hands to operate the machine.
Use a complete stroke and make quick, sharp
contact with the article being marked.
3. Unfold shirt collars before you mark them.
Care and Maintenance of Laundry
A certain amount of care and maintenance
must be given to laundry marking machines to
keep them in good working order and to extend
their usefulness. Keep all parts of the marking
machine clean, type faces in particular. Proceed
1. Bring the type levers to the full FORWARD
2. Depress the clip on the back of the cover
(bottom) and unlock it in front.
3. Raise the index handles to bring the type
into the most accessible position and clean it with
the wire brush provided by the manufacturer for
Another way to clean the type assembly is to
remove the assembly by first removing the pin
inserted through the shaft channels over the
shaft and disengaging the spring lock. After the
assembly is removed, clean it with a steam gun.
When parts of the machine become worn,
they should be replaced with new ones. Keep
a supply of the most used repair parts on