JOB SHEET 9-1-5
PLANNING INSPECTION STEPS
Underwater hull inspection requires a thorough knowledge of the components and conditions peculiar to
underwater operations. This Job Sheet will allow you to practice the step-by-step procedures required to
conduct underwater hull inspections. A major benefit of this exercise is that you will have the opportunity
to make the same decisions that will be required to perform this task in your duty assignment.
B. Equipment The following equipment is required:
1. Open circuit SCUBA outfit.
2. 12" rule
3. Tending lines
4. Hull inspection report
5. Underwater lights (night dives)
6. Chem-lite; one per buddy team (night dives)
1. NAVSHIPS Technical Manual, and Underwater Work Techniques Manual, Volume 2
2. Underwater Ship Husbandry Manuals, S0600-AA-010 series
3. U. S. Navy Diving Manual, Volume 1
D. Safety Precautions: Review TTO procedures in the Safety/Hazard Awareness Notice.
E. Job Steps. The following job steps apply:
1. At Diving supervisors direction, dress in open circuit SCUBA following safety checklist in the
Underwater Work Techniques Manual Vol. 2, page 3-2.
2. At Diving supervisors direction, make proper water entry. Review safety checklist in the Underwater
Work Techniques Manual, Vol. 2, page 3-3, before entering water.
3. At Diving supervisors direction, descend on craft and make an unda-water inspection of the crafts hull.
Review safety checklist in the Underwater Work Techniques Manual, Vol. 2, page 4-5 before entering
4. Upon surfacing, sound off, Maximum Depth
, Bottom Time
. Failure to report
this information will result in a failing grade for this Job Sheet.
5. At Diving supervisors direction, make proper water exit.
6. Await further instructions from Diving supervisor.
7. Complete an underwater hull inspection report (one per buddy team).
8. Two percent will be deducted for each line pull signal not given or given incorrectly.
F. Self Test Questions:
Note: To be developed.
Figure 9-4.-Example Job Sheet.