Records and forms pertaining to military forms
and records are not included in the ASM. Below is a
list of those forms and records.
All DOD Forms2 years
OPNAV 5110/5 (directory card)12 months after
OPNAV 5110/9 (ordinary mail manifest)6 months
OPNAV 5110/9 (registered mail manifest)2 years
Mail call log sheet6 months
PS Form 297630 days
All records used with the Unisys III will be
retained for 4 years.
PROCEDURES AND POSTAL
Learning Objective: Recall procedures for
the development of a command Standard
Operating Procedure (SOP) and Postal
Operating Plan (POP).
The following information provides instruction for the
development of command standard operating
procedures (SOP) and postal operating plans (POP).
STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURES
Commanding Officers must make sure a local
postal service directive or instruction is produced.
This directive or instruction should be called the
standard operating procedures (SOP). It should cite
information relative to mail services and facilities of
the command. A sample SOP is shown in appendix 3
of this NRTC. The SOP should contain, at a minimum,
· Correct and complete mailing address including
division, department, detachment, code,
squadron, and unit number to be used by
personnel attached to the command.
· Location and hours of operation of the post
office serving the command.
· Location and hours of operation of the mail
room, if applicable.
· Location and hours of collection from
receptacles supplied for posting outgoing mail.
· Time and method of distributing incoming mail.
· Instructions relative to customs requirements
and customs regulations in locations where they
· Instructions for completing Notice of Change of
Address, OPNAV Form 5110/5, cards.
· List of non-mailable articles.
· Security measures to be followed for the
protection of the postal facility, mail, and postal
· Emergency destruction procedures for USPS
postal effects, funds, and mail, listing the items
in priority order of destruction.
· Information on Mail Bombs.
· Duties of the postal officer, COPE, etc.
· Transportation schedule for outgoing and
· Guidelines to account for blank money order
Where applicable, the SOP may be combined with
the command POP. The SOP should be posted in an
area accessible to all postal customers for their
All MPS operating activities must review and
update their SOP at least annually.
POSTAL OPERATING PLAN
The role of the POP is to supply postal manage-
ment with a method to document the processes to be
done, target times to be met, and basic information
needed to manage an MPO. It must be used at the
managerial and planning level as well as at the operating
level. The POP is a map of the postal operation and can
be a valuable management tool to indoctrinate newly
reporting postal officers and supervisors.
The POP enables postal officers or supervisors to
plan mail processing operations and coordinate them
with transportation schedules. Each section of the POP
should be made with a view toward the following
· Streamlining mail-processing operations.
· Integrating mail transportation systems.
· Making operations more efficient and
· Determining facility layout.