responsible for controlling, managing, and accounting
for each postal dollar spent. The Navys annual
postage costs for official mailings is approximately 25
million dollars; and since postage rates continue to rise
and will in the future, you can see why tight control is a
The success of a command Official Mail Cost
Control Program requires the support, cooperation,
and sometimes the technical expertise of a Navy Postal
TREATMENT OF OFFICIAL MAIL
Official mail must conform to the weight, size, and
shape requirements for the class of mail being used.
All official mail must be treated as First-Class Mail,
unless endorsed for a lower class. EXCEPTION:
Pieces exceeding the weight limits of First-Class Mail
must be treated as Standard Mail (B) unless endorsed
PRIORITY. Refer to Module R of the DMM for weight
restrictions. Official mail endorsed to indicate a
special mail service must be given the service
indicated. Official mail sent to International addresses
must conform to the size and weight limits and
restrictions of the country to which addressed. A
return address is required on all official mail. The
words DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY must be
above the return address, and the words OFFICIAL
BUSINESS below the return address. All addresses
and return addresses must have a ZIP + 4 Code.
SPECIAL MAIL SERVICES
The Department of the Navy has placed certain
limitations on the use of special mail services and the
transmission of official mail as follows:
Registered mail should be used only for the
transmission of the following types of materials:
· Classified material as required by DODINST
· Service records, medical records, and records of
· High-value items that are one-of-a-kind,
irreplaceable, sensitive, controlled, rare or
pilferable, and items having a replacement value
in excess of $20,000.
· Mailable shipments of government owned
· Criminal investigation evidence.
· Cash, original vouchers (disbursement and
collection), and voided or cancelled checks.
· Commercial transportation tickets, boarding
passes, and Air Mobility Command
· Environmental samples.*
· Notification of radiation exposure.*
· Miling former evidence to its owner.*
· Mobilization preassignment orders to
International addresses where this service is
· Items required by law, regulation, or other
government agency rules with which the Navy
* Use of a USPS Return Receipt is authorized for
Insured mail will be used only for:
· Motion pictures sent from or to the Navy Motion
Picture Exchange command.
· For accountability reasons when proof of
delivery is required for valuable administrative
or logistical equipment, supplies, and printed
· To return borrowed library books and similar
items when required by the non-DOD lender.
No other special service will be used in conjunction
with insured mail. Mail being sent registered or
certified will not be insured.
Certified mail will be used only for:
· Confidential material to facilities cleared for
access to classified information under the DOD
Industrial Security Program or to any non-DOD
agency of the Executive Branch.
· Letters to establishments being declared off
· Adverse enlisted and officer efficiency reports
and other similar actions.
· Controlled test material.
· Instructional material marked For Faculty Use
· Items requiring shipment by Priority Mail when
the certified fee is less than the fee for other
services which provide proof of delivery.