*DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY
*Name of Activity
2 From: Title of activity head, name of activity, location when needed
Title of activity head, name of activity, location when needed (Code)
(1) Title of activity head, name of activity, location when needed (not numbered if only one)
(2) Pattern of (1) repeated for next endorser
2 Subj: NORMAL WORD ORDER, ALL LETTERS CAPITALIZED
(a) Earlier communication that bears directly on subject at hand
2 Encl: (1) Material enclosed with letter identified in same way as reference, single enclosure
(2) Notation added for material sent separately (sep cover)
2 1. This example shows all the elements that might appear on the original of a one-page
2. If you omit the date when you type the letter, start the From block on the fourth line
below the code/serial to allow for an oversized date stamp.
3. Other examples in this chapter show the spacing to follow for correspondence that
variously omits Via, Reference, and Enclosure blocks.
*NAME OF SIGNER
2 Copy to:
Short title of information addressee (see SNDL)
Short title of second information addressee
ITALICS: OPTIONAL ITEMS
ASTERISKS: ITEMS YOU MAY STAMP
UNDERLINED NUMBERS: TYPEWRITER LINES
Figure 1-9.--An example of a standard letter.