Figure 11-8.-M59 field range.
The range outfit can be used for boiling,
roasting, frying, and griddle cooking and can be
adjusted to work as a bake oven. Some baking can
be done in the covered roasting pan or in the cake
pan placed inside the covered roasting pan. Pies
bake well in the roasting pan alone. However, for
all other baked foods, you should use the cake
pan. If you do a great deal of baking with the
range, make the necessary adaptation.
For complete information on safety precautions
operating and maintenance instructions, basic
issue items lists, and maintenance allocation
charts, you should refer to the applicable Army
technical manual (TM). Be sure you have the
appropriate TM for the particular range model
(for example, M59) that you are using.
Operation of the burner unit used on the
model M59 field range is discussed next.
When you are lighting the M2 burner unit
installed in the M59 field range, follow these
procedures in the order listed. (See fig. 11-10 for the
part number in parentheses.)
1. Remove the burner unit from the cabinet and
take it to a well-ventilated, outside area.
2. Close the preheater valve (6) and the flame
(generator) valve (9).
3. Stand the unit in a vertical position and loosen
the fuel filler cap (12) by turning counterclockwise,
slowly releasing air pressure.
4. Fill the tank until fuel can be seen at the base
of the fuel filler cap (12). CAUTION: Do not
5. Install and tighten the fuel filler cap (12).
6. Remove the air valve cap (5). Place the unit in
a horizontal position and attach the hand pump to
the air valve (5).
7. Pump until the air pressure gauge (11) reads
10 to 20 pounds.
8. Rotate the preheater orifice cleaner control
lever (7) several times to clean the preheater orifice;
the handle should be pointing down when you are
9. Place a lighted match near the preheater
burner head (3) and open the preheater valve (6)
one-fourth of a turn.
10. Allow the preheater burner head (3) to burn
for 30 seconds after ignition or until the flame
burns evenly. Then turn the preheater valve (6)
counterclockwise until it is completely open.
11. Allow the preheater burner head (3) to burn
until the full length of the generator (1) is hot to the
12. Set the air shutter handle (8) in a half-open
Turn the flame valve (9) slowly counter-clockwise
to the open position. The burner should ignite
before the valve is completely open. Adjust the air
shutter level with the air shutter handle (8) until
the burner flame color is sea green. Turn the
preheater valve (6) clockwise. The normal operating
pressure is 10 to 20 pounds.