Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make your Home Page

Page Title: Rental Expenses for a Residence
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



FSA—Type I during the assignment or following the departure  of  the  dependents. In  Hawaii  when  the  dependents  reside  in,  or during which all dependents return to, one of the other states  or  the  District  of  Columbia  to  establish  a permanent residence and the member is entitled to VHA prescribed for the PDS provided the member would be entitled  to  FSA—Type  I  during  the  assignment  or following  the  departure  of  the  dependents  if  the  PDS were  outside  the  United  States. Offset At times, a member’s prescribed VHA plus BAQ will exceed the member’s actual rental or ownership expenses.  In  these  cases,  the  VHA  payable  to  the member will be computed at an offset rate. The offset will  reduce  the  member’s  entitlement  so  that  the entitlement  will  more  accurately  correspond  with  the member’s  actual  expenses.  The  VHA  offset  will  be explained in greater detail later in this chapter. NOTE: In no case will the amount of the offset or reduction exceed the member’s prescribed VHA for his or  her  actual  expenses.  If  the  member’s  housing  costs equal or exceed the total of the member’s prescribed VHA plus BAQ, the member is entitled to the full VHA without  offset. Residence A residence is any quarters in which a member and/or  his  or  her  dependents  actually  reside. Rental Expenses for a Residence A member who rents a residence maybe entitled to rental expenses for a residence. In the case of a member who rents a residence, the allowable housing expenses for  the  purpose  of  computing  the  VHA  offset  rate  will be  limited  to  the  rent  payment,  liability  and  personal property insurance, p l u s    t h e    s t a n d a r d utility/maintenance  expense  (SUME)  for  the  applicable location  and  member’s  paygrade. For  a  member  who  rents  a  mobile  home  or houseboat  as  a  residence,  the  allowable  housing expenses will also include the lot or berthing fees, if applicable. Ownership  Expense  for  a  Residence The term  ownership  expense  for  a  residence  refers to  an  eligible  member  who  owns  his  or  her  residence. In the case of a member who owns a residence, the allowable  housing  expenses  for  the  purpose  of computing the VHA offset rate will be limited to the periodic mortgage payments, and if not included in the mortgage payments, hazard and liability (homeowner) insurance and real estate taxes and personal loans used to repair, renovate, or enlarge the residence unsecured by mortgages plus the SUME for the applicable location and member’s paygrade. For  a  member  who  owns  a  mobile  home  or  a houseboat  as  a  residence,  the  allowable  housing expenses will also include the lot or berthing fees, if applicable. Standard Utility/Maintenance Expense An SUME will be used for computing the VHA offset  rate  for  each  geographic  locality,  grade,  and dependent  status. This  expense  will  be  based  on reported utility and maintenance costs for each locality, grade, and dependent status as shown in a table prepared by the PDTTAC. The  SUME  includes  the  monthly  cost  for electricity,  natural  gas/propane,  fuel  oil,  wood/coal, water/sewer, and garbage. It also includes the average monthly   cost   of   condominium   fees,   homeowner’s association  fee,  property  and  hazard  insurance  if  not part of the monthly house payment, and maintenance costs for upkeep of the residence. Maintenance costs include   such   items   as   plumbing,   electrical, heating/cooling system, or structural repairs. It does not include the cost of home improvements such as remodeling,  a  new  roof,  a  new  furnace,  major appliances, new fences, and other additions. DOCUMENTATION FOR VHA ENTITLEMENT The   documentation   requirements   for   VHA eligibility include the VHA Certificate, Dependency Application/Record  of  Emergency  Data,  and  other supporting  documents. VHA  Certificate As mentioned earlier, the member must file a VHA Certificate  for  entitlement  to  VHA.  A  copy  of  the certificate is shown in figure 8-9. 8-17

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc. - A (SDVOSB) Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business