Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make your Home Page

Page Title: Ship Changes Location while Member is on Authorized Leave or Liberty
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



mental incapacity, or other extraordinary circumstances that require the dependent to be accompanied. The most  common  occurrence  is  when  an  escort  or nonmedical attendant is authorized to accompany a dependent  outside  CONUS  who  must  travel  for  medical treatment that is not available locally. Reimbursement will depend on the status of the designated escort or attendant. If the escort is a military member,   regular   temporary   duty   allowances   are payable. When the escort is a civilian employee of the U.S.  Government,  reimbursement  will  be  according  to the  regular  temporary  duty  allowances  for  the department or agency for which that person works. For persons  who  are  not  military  or  government  employees, reimbursement is based on whether the person is acting as an escort or an attendant for medical treatment. Escorts  will  be  reimbursed  in  the  same  manner  as Department  of  the  Navy  civilian  employees  on temporary duty. Attendants will be reimbursed for the actual  expense  of  transportation,  meals,  and  lodging, not to exceed the per diem rate for the area concerned. SHIP CHANGES LOCATION WHILE MEMBER IS ON AUTHORIZED LEAVE OR LIBERTY Sometimes  special  travel  categories  occur  when  a member is assigned to a ship and the ship changes locations.  When  a  member  departs  on  leave  or  liberty from his or her assigned ship and the ship is relocated during  the  period  of  leave  or  liberty,  a  monetary allowance instead of transportation plus a flat per diem rate may be payable to the member according to the following   guidelines: The travel allowances are payable for the excess distance, if any, between the authorized leave or liberty point and the new location of the ship over the distance between the leave or liberty point and the location of the ship at the time the member departed from there to begin the leave or liberty. When the new location of the ship is at a place that will require transoceanic travel, the member may be provided transportation in kind for the transoceanic travel. The cost of the transportation will not exceed the cost of transportation from the location of the ship at the time the member departed and the new location of the ship. NOTE:  These  entitlements  only  apply  if  the member was not notified as to the change of the location of the ship before departure on leave or liberty. SHIP  UNDERGOES  OVERHAUL  OR INACTIVATION AT A PLACE OTHER THAN HOME PORT When a ship undergoes overhaul or inactivation at a port other than its home port or when its home port is changed  to  the  port  of  overhaul  or  inactivation, entitlement to transportation for the member or the member’s dependents can be authorized providing the following  conditions  are  met: The member was permanently assigned to the ship for more than 30 consecutive days. The dependents were residing in the area of the home port or former home port. (The term  area means a place surrounding the home port from which the member commuted daily and not just on a sporadic or weekend  basis.) Entitlement  accrues  on  or  after  the  31st  calendar day  and  every  60th  calendar  day  thereafter  from  the  date on which the ship entered the overhaul or inactivation port or after the date on which the member became permanently  assigned  to  the  ship,  whichever  is  later.  A member who becomes entitled to a subsequent trip before  using  a  prior  entitlement  will  not  lose  a previously  earned  entitlement.  However,  all  travel earned must begin before the ship departs from the overhaul  or  inactivation  port. Home Port of Ship Not Changed If the home port of the ship is not changed, the member  or  dependents  are  authorized  travel  between the port of overhaul or inactivation and the area of the home port. When the member elects for the dependents to travel for any period of entitlement, the member has no  additional  entitlement  for  that  period.  A  separate election  can  be  made  for  each  separate  period  of entitlement. Home Port of Ship Changed When the home port of the ship is changed to the overhaul or inactivation port, the member or dependents may  be  authorized  travel  between  the  new  home  port and the old home port instead of PCS entitlements for the dependents. To qualify for that travel authorization, the dependents must be unable to relocate because of a personal  situation.  For  example,  a  dependent  may  be receiving medical care at a facility located in the area of  the  old  home  port. Because no similar medical 3-9

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc. - A (SDVOSB) Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business