Quantcast 12966_51

Click Here to
Order this information in Print

Click Here to
Order this information on CD-ROM

Click Here to
Download this information in PDF Format


Click here to make tpub.com your Home Page

Page Title: 12966_51
Back | Up | Next

Click here for a printable version




Information Categories
.... Administration
Food and Cooking
Nuclear Fundamentals
  Educational CD-ROM's
Printed Manuals
Downloadable Books



Share on Google+Share on FacebookShare on LinkedInShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Stumble Upon
Seaman Johnnie Hutchins
Naval Orientation - Military manual for administrative purposes
The Korean Conflict
had   chores   to   do,   from   feeding   the   livestock and cleaning the hen house to milking the cows and  hauling  water  from  the  well.  Carr’s  work never  seemed  to  end.  His  chores  controlled where he went and how long he stayed. Perhaps this   informal   education   in   self-discipline   and responsibility was what later made Carr a leader among  his  shipmates. Paul Carr and his crew fired over 300 rounds during the battle off Samar. They scored at close range  and  severely  damaged  a  Japanese  heavy cruiser, knocking   out   an   8-inch   turret, demolishing   its   bridge,   and   starting   fires aft. His crew had inspired every man on the ship, a ship that was now in grave danger of sinking. The massive blows by the Japanese had taken their toll. The Roberts was without power, compressed air,  hydraulics,  and  communications.  The  crippled ship  was  barely  afloat  and  taking  on  water through a gaping hole left by a 14-inch shell fired from  the  Japanese  battleship  Kongo. Even  though  the  safety  device  of  the  gas- ejection system was inoperative, Carr’s close-knit gun crew loaded, rammed, and fired six charges by  hand.  When  the  crew  attempted  to  fire  a seventh  round,  the  powder  charge  “cooked  off” before the breech was closed. The charge wrecked the gun and killed or wounded all but three men in the gun house. After  the  order  to  abandon  ship  had  been given,  a  petty  officer  entered  the  gun  mount  to find Carr literally torn open from neck to thigh. Carr,  ignoring  his  injuries,  was  holding  a 54-pound  projectile,  trying,  unassisted,  to  load and ram the only shell available. Carr begged the petty  officer  to  help  him  get  off  the  last  round. But the man, seeing the gun had been destroyed and its breech rendered a mass of twisted steel, took  the  projectile  from  Carr’s  hands. After helping one of the other wounded men to the main deck, the petty officer returned to the gun   mount.   There   he   found   Carr,   although horribly wounded, again attempting to place the projectile  on  the  loading  tray  of  the  inoperable gun.  A  few  minutes  later  this  brave  man  died. About an hour later USS  Samuel B. Roberts  sank. Paul  Henry  Carr’s  memory  will  continue  to live. On 27 July 1985 the Navy commissioned the USS  Carr  (FFG-52),  honoring  a  man  who  gave his  life  for  his  shipmates  and  his  country. COMMANDER   HOWARD   W.   GILMORE The   unrelaxed   vigilance,   skill,   and   daring of   the   submarine   service   furnished   many tradition  makers  in  World  War  II.  The  story  of Commander  Howard  W.  Gilmore  is  classic. Commander Gilmore was in command of the submarine  Growler  in the South Pacific. He had just  sunk  one  Japanese  freighter  and  damaged another when he found himself fighting a surface engagement  with  a  Japanese  gunboat. Gunfire  had  severely  wounded  Gilmore  and had  seriously  damaged  his  submarine.  To  save his  ship,  he  calmly  gave  the  order  to  clear the   bridge,   knowing   his   own   life   would   be sacrificed.  Time  did  not  permit  even  the  few seconds’  delay  needed  for  him  to  go  below.  He did not hesitate as he voiced the order, “Take her down.” The   well-trained   crew,   inspired   by Gilmore’s  fighting  spirit,  brought  the  damaged submarine  to  port. THE  MARINES  ON  IWO  JIMA Iwo Jima goes down in history as one of the most costly and frightful battles ever waged. The Japanese prepared for the battle by hiding in caves and  camouflaged  blockhouses  on  the  beach  armed with plenty of ammunition. Besides ammunition, the Japanese had plenty of courage because their attack  strategy  provided  them  with  protection while  the  American  soldiers  would  be  open targets. Meanwhile, 800 invasion ships carrying U.S. Marines anchored offshore and began to deliver troops  to  the  beach.  The  Japanese,  sheltered  in their  concrete  pillboxes  and  underground  caves, slaughtered  battalion  after  battalion  of  men  as they landed on the beach and dug forward. The grueling   battle   continued   for   days   before   the Americans  finally  defeated  the  enemy  to  make  the first  capture  of  Japanese  territory  during  the war. As a symbol of victory, a group of six men— five marines and a Pharmacist’s Mate (Hospital Corpsman)—then  raised  an  American  flag  atop 2-21

Privacy Statement - Press Release - Copyright Information. - Contact Us - Support Integrated Publishing

Integrated Publishing, Inc.