7-54. A straddle truck is designed to handle what type of
1. Containers equipped with skids
2. Long and heavy materials
3. Boxes not pelletized
4. Large rigid containers or packages
7-55. The use of pallets permits which of the following
types of materials-handling operations?
1. Storing material by units
2. Transporting material by units
3. Loading material by units
4. Each of the above
7-56. What is the usual size for a pallet?
1. 40 x 48
2. 40 x 40
3. 48 x 48
4. 60 x 60
7-57. You can save considerable time and labor when you
are discharging easily crushed items from a ship to a
transit shed if you use which of the following types
1. Single-platform pallets
2. Box pallets
3. Double-platform pallets
7-58. Nestable sheet metal pallets are convenient for which
of the following reasons?
1. They are easy to keep clean
2. They save storage space
3. Their maintenance cost is low
4. All of the above
7-59. What size pallet is used primarily for transporting and
storing drummed products and stevedoring purposes?
1. 40 x 48
2. 48 x 72
3. 48 x 48
4. 72 x 72
7-60, When you are loading a pallet with boxes of different
sizes, the boxes should be arranged in what way?
1. The biggest and sturdiest boxes should go in the
2. The biggest and most fragile boxes should go at
3. The smallest and sturdiest boxes should go at the
4. The smallest and most fragile boxes should go in
7-61. When you palletize material that will be moved
several times before it reaches its destination, what
additional step(s) should you take?
1. The material should be swapped to the pallet using
nylon or metal strapping
2. The material should be strapped and metal or
folder cardboard comers placed under the
3. The height of the pelletized material should be
reduced to one layer of containers
4. Horizontal strapping should be added to ensure
that the material will remain tightly packed
7-62. The drum-handling sling is designed for which of the
1. For shipboard loading only
2. With a crane for any drum or barrel-handling
3. With a crane for any drum or barrel-handling
operation and shipboard loading
4. As a forklift truck attachment for any drum or
7-63. How many different types of drum-handling forklift
truck attachments are available?
7-64. What type of drum-handling forklift truck attachment
is NOT in wide use because of its installation cost?
1. Spaced forks that cradle drums
2. Side rails with hooks
3. Vacuum operative
4. One drum vertically operated